I've had a busy and most interesting year, and have been exploring new musical territory!
- Producing, with colleague Waldo Alexander (violin), and performing at, a tribute day to Pierre Boulez in honour of his 90th birthday. I played the Piano Sonata no 2, as well as part of an ensemble performing several newly commissioned works by young Johannesburg composers, written in response to aspects of Boulez' music.
- Launching a CD of music by Kevin Volans. Waldo Alexander and I recorded works for piano, violin and viola in Berlin last year. This recording was released on the Ergodos label and was also the world première of Volans' 9th piano etude, written for me.
- Performing in Tokyo at the Ryogoku Art Festival with pianist Satoko Inoue. We played a programme of solos, duets and duos by South African and Japanese composers, including world premières by Toshiba Watanabe and Tomoko Momiyama.
- The world première in Johannesburg of “Ask Him!” by Charlotte Seither
- Performing at the New Music Indaba, South Africa's largest new music festival. I played works by Kevin Volans, Charlotte Seither and Ives (the Concord Sonata), amongst others.
- Creating a sound track for the video “End of August” by Dorothee Kreuzfeld and Jurgen Meekel, to be shown at Room Gallery, Johannesburg, from 28 November 2015.
- Co-producing a performance of Terry Riley's “in C” at the University of the Witwatersrand, in honour of his 80th birthday.
- Collaborating with Johannesburg actors Mwenya Kabwe, Khutjo Green, Vanessa Cooke and Tshego Khutsoane on a new project, Babel replay, together with Swiss colleagues Georges Pfruender and Margarete Jahrmann.
- Next year will start with performances in Berlin, Hamburg and Sylt of music by Charlotte Seither and Michael Maierhof. I will be doing a residency and performances in Switzerland, working with Charlotte Hug, Christophe Fellay and Joke Lanz.
- I have also been busy in my capacity as Chairperson of the Buskaid Trust, a string-teaching project based in Soweto, as well as accompanying and coaching the Buskaid students.
- Other activities include being a member of the Education and Content committee of Music in Africa, as well as ensemble coaching.